The Importance of Reading to Your Infant | Reading is Important


I love snuggling with this little squish.
Honestly, I struggle to not wake him up sometimes just to get some cuddles in. It's one reason why I enjoy breastfeeding so much. I love having that bonding experience. We have a special closeness while I fill his belly with nourishment. The same can be said for reading to children, especially young infants. Little A and I will snuggle up under a blanket and I will fill his mind with stories of dragons, and mystery, and excitement.

Language is so incredibly important at this stage in a child's life. Their brain is developing so rapidly, so they more words they hear per day, the better! Not only are babies learning words, but they're also deciphering speech patterns which can aid in talking later on in life. Another special aspect of reading is that I can face him toward me, and really get some eye contact as I'm reading to him. This helps with bonding, and development.

Texture books are so helpful at this age. Little A is just exploring the entire world with his hands and mouth that books with different feelings help his explorations. My goal is usually about 20 minutes of reading per day, and I have found that as time goes on, he enjoys it more and more. My favorite parts are when I fluctuate my voice throughout the story and he kicks his legs, flails his arms, and giggles in excitement.

I read here that 1 out of every 3 kindergartners doesn't possess the language skills necessary to learn to read. Language and reading comprehension are such an important part of life that I think they should be given as much emphasis as milestones such as walking or learning to ride a bike. 

So, before you lay your little one down for bed tonight, read them a story.

Until next time, 

Savannah

Labels: , , , ,